Thursday, August 6, 2009

What's in our organic garden

Well because this is our first year "on the farm" I tried my best to limit what we are growing so things wouldn’t get out of control. (Ok, my wife stopped my over enthusiasm so that we wouldn’t overwhelm ourselves our first year). With that said, we have three main goals this year:
#1 is homemade salsa and lots of it
#2 is homemade tomato sauce with fresh herbs of course
#3 is grow my own organic chicken feed, basically a supplement to normal feed winter rations (hence the “bird garden”).

We’re going to have a very busy fall around here. In the garden this year is lettuce, corn, celery, beans, carrots, 4-kinds of tomatoes, onion, Jalapeno, chilies, banana & bell peppers, muskmelon, watermelon, squash, cucumber, and Jack-o-lantern pumpkins for fall. ON top of all that do not forget the apple trees and pear trees asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries & concord grapes, that has been growing here for generations and I am now the steward of. (I think I’ll need 3 weeks off of work just for canning.)

Be careful what you wish for you just might get it. This spring was cooler than most so we really got a slow start growing, but so far so good there is still time left. I’m sure I will still be harvesting on Halloween, but that’s ok. I'll be singing “Here we go rejoicing bringing in the sheaves…” LOL

[These are sort of mid-season. I'll but current garden photos up soon so you can see the difference.]



No comments: