Saturday, August 1, 2009

Surviving the Winter

I was still working the crazy 12hr shifts to pay the rent, dreaming of spring, shoveling and blowing snow when I was not working or sleeping. My wife got a part-time job at a retail store; not much money, but better than nothing.

Our driveway was drifting like crazy in January. Steve the landlord was helpful and got the old tractor out of the barn to plow now and then, but we got our cars stuck in the drifting snow often and had to pay someone to plow several times.

Steve would come over and spend time in the barn which by the way we are not officially renting. The barn held all the junk that Steve’s parents had never thrown away. In the process of cleaning out the barn, I had the pleasure of sifting through the piles of farm junk, 65 years worth in fact. Steve’s parents lived through The Great Depression and never threw anything away if it had any possible use someday.

Here are a few of the things I discovered and got to keep: homemade chicken feeders and cool antique chicken waters made in the 1930's (worth hundreds of dollars to a collector). There were huge piles of scrap wood pieces of all kinds, every window that came out of the house over the last 65years (of which I used to make a cold frame). I also found 27 broom sticks of various kinds I used to make a chicken roost. Grain grinding mill, corn husker, poultry fence, tons of garden tools, old feed pails my wife turned into flower pots, and solid oak door I'm refinishing. The list goes on, we just could not believe how much was in the junk pile (not to mention how much we didn’t see). We wanted to keep everything but the buckets of rusty farm parts and I even kept some of those. I even found an old stair banister that I turned into a window box for the chicken coop.






I would often explore the barn when my daughter was having nap time. I found huge balls of fencing of different kinds, this saved me a ton of money. There was garden hoses, small garden tiller, several lawn mowers, & weed trimmers. Landlord kept saying "Don’t going buying anything cuz I probably have one in the barn." We’d smiled and say "OK!"

No comments: