Sunday, August 9, 2009

Good farmers have patience

Nothing to do now but water and wait...and wait.. and wait... (did I mention I’m not good at waiting)
After working so hard I found myself looking for things to do ~ cut the grass, water the gardens, feed the chickens and that's about it. Well there’s always something to do, but now that I’m working full-time there isn’t enough time to start new projects. I’m not the kind of guy that has a lot of patience, but I’m getting better (kind of have to on a farm, plants grow at their own darn pace).

We really enjoyed watching all the song birds around the farm. I put up a few birdhouses up that we could see from the house. I also enjoyed many mornings sipping my fine coffee on the deck bird watching. (My wife would sit on the deck in the early spring mornings huddled in a bathrobe with a cup of coffee to listen to the birds and smell spring coming.)












After coffee I would go exploring the grounds, one day I found 26 pieces of terracotta drain tile all stacked together next to the woods. I should mention there are natural water springs on the farm not far from the house. I then carried several pieces of the tile back to the lower garden… I had a idea.

















During this time I also started to transplant some lilac bush to make privacy hedge. Oh yeah, now my wife wanted to make another flower bed. My trusty shovel was never out of arms reach. I have a lot of landscaping experience. In the 16 years I was in the city, I had worked for two landscaping companies and a nursery/craft store. I was also self-employed for many years, maintaining perennial gardens for little old ladies. So when my wife says "I have an idea for a flower bed honey". I know that’s going to mean serious work. Good thing for her I happen to be good at it.



I did 98% of the work and let her plant the flowers. I think she was having a harder time adjusting to the country life than me. She has a lot of friends back in the city; I was always the lone wolf type. I enjoyed listening to her come to me with excitement over the next flower blooming or the new bird in the feeder, or critter she found. Learning to enjoy the simpler things in life is something that happens only after a considerable amount of time out of the carpool lane.

No comments: