Saturday, August 1, 2009

Finding our own place

It was now October we were living with my wife’s parents temporarily until we could get our new life on track. Out of money, no jobs, 87% of our worldly possessions in a storage shed on the outskirts of the small town we now resided in. It did not feel like a smart move to me at the time, no chi-vanilla latte's, no real restaurants with professional service, and the nearest grocery store with a organic section was a forty-two mile drive.

These were going to be challenging times. I got a call for a job interview I had applied online before leaving Minnesota. When they offered me the job, I took it....selling frozen food from a truck, I hate sales, but the pay was good the hours were horrible - twelve hour shift five days a week.

Then one day my wife and I were driving down the road and I spotted a tiny sign at the end of a driveway "for rent". We turned the car around to check it out. Without speaking to each other as we got out of the car and looked around we knew this could be good. We knocked on the farmhouse door and inside found a friendly guy named Steve who was an electrician by trade and had been working to fix-up the place for renters. There was no ad in the paper or online, just a tiny sign at the bottom of the driveway. Turns out Steve grew-up in this house and his parents had lived here for sixty-five years. Rent was $850 per month and we wanted it. My daughter Trinity even liked that there were apples she could pick right off the tree. We gave $400 down that day and made plans to move in on December 1; plans included knocking out a wall upstairs to make a master bedroom out of two small rooms. From that day on things were looking up I could now plan....

1 comment:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

No chai vanilla lattes....

Heh heh...yeah. I do miss some of those city things as well.