Friday, August 31, 2012

Tomatoes! Tomatoes!

Every spring we plant large # of plants thinking we will want all those tomatoes to "do stuff with" and every fall I think "We are Insane!!  Why did we plant so many tomatoes?!?!"   And this year is no exception lol.

This years weather was perfect for the tomatoes plants. They loved the hot humid weather and since we pretty much watered every day, this is a Bumper Crop for sure.  So far we have done a large batch of salsa. Tonight we are dicing the tomatoes to can, since I can see using them in lots of things and in about 2 weeks (maybe less) we will be doing tomato sauce. Now, while I'm making all this I'm think we are crazy, but all winter long and into the next summer when I just run to the basement and bring up a nice jar of homemade sauce I remember that it is all worth it. 

And I've been lucky enough to be married to a man that is my partner in this whole scheme of things. Not only does he do 90% of the gardening, but he is chopping with me, pulling hot jars out of the water, slicing & dicing and helping me do taste tests.  I highly recommend having a partner while canning.

No comments: