Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Butchering Time

First I would like to apologize for how long it has taken to get another post up. I am officially taking over so it shouldn't be so long between posts.
This post is about butchering egglayers. The 2 other times we butchered chickens, they were meat birds. They were younger, bigger and tender. These were about a year old Rhode Island Reds. We gave them a good life, feed them good food and Trinity gave them lots of love.

This time we had some help from 3 friends. There were only 11 birds to do. Next spring we will be ordering 24 meat bird and hopefully have more friends help. The hardest part is the plucking! But ironically the feathers on these birds came off rather easy so that helped the process along.

Of the 5 of us doing the work, 3 of us were amazed at the whole biology of the bird. We took apart the gizzard, liver and anything else that took our fancy. One of the things I found facinating was the development of the eggs. I guess it makes sense, but I never thought about it before, but the egg is created yolk first in a tiny lil orange dot that grows large, then is surrounded with the egg white. Lastly the egg shell is developed over it all. We found that each chicken had varying stages of egg development from the tiny bit of orange to an almost fully completed egg.

2 members of our party thought we were crazy and just wanted to get the job done!! After all was said and done, everyone went home with chicken meat. We found that the meat, though flavorful, it was a lil tough to eat baked. In chicken soup though, it is Very yummy!
Thanks to Aaron, Kristopher & Holly for helping us! Here are the pics from that day.

Holly is taking pics... She wasn't too sure about helping with the gross part.





I am showing Aaron the gizzard and Kristopher and I couldn't help but poke at the egg yolk we found.







I am instructing Aaron & Kristopher on how to butcher... Not sure what I'm pointing out here. The ironic thing is, all I know is what I figured out the first 2 times we did this. I really have NO idea what I'm doing and think I need to find a class on how to butcher.






Here are the different stages of egg...











Proof that Holly actually Touched a dead bird! Arron & Daryl are getting down to the last part.







No comments: